Professor Philip C. Hammond was a decorated World War II veteran who earned his Ph.D. in archaeology at Yale in 1957. He went on to teach at Lycoming College, Princeton Theological Seminary, and Brandeis University, before settling at the University of Utah in 1969. He excavated at a number of sites in both Jordan and Egypt, including Nag Hammadi, Hebron, and Petra.
Hammond directed the American Expedition to Hebron for three seasons in the summers of 1964, 1965, and 1966. During this last season, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary particpated in the excavation, sending faculty member Dr. Robert O. Coleman and several students. The next season was derailed by the Six Day War of 1967 and the transfer of the West bank territories from Jordanian to Israeli control hindered Hammond's attempts to renew work at the site and an official report has yet to be published for the original three seasons.
It was due to this early collaboration between Hammond and Coleman that the Tandy received a collection of artifacts from Hammond. This collection contains a variety of artifacts from different periods, including pottery, jewelry, and stone objects.
To view images of the Hammond Collection, please visit our photo gallery.